Saturday, April 3, 2010

Extraordinary Desserts

To top off the evening, we headed towards Little Italy for dessert at Extraordinary Desserts. The place was mad packed, even at 11pm! We had to wait about 10 minutes to get seated.



While waiting, we browsed through some of their products and fine decor.


the white pyramids are macaroons;
and the bottom is the Macadamia Nut Pie


wonder what kind of magic the tea does


big Buddha head statue

They sell an assortment of exotic teas, some claiming to be "magic", books, lotions, bags, and other non-dessert products. That's the way to make big money in a successful business.

We finally got seated and ordered. I got the Macadamia Nut Pie and my buddy got the Gianduia.


Gianduia - chocolate cake with rasberry filling and
chocolate cream between the layers, encrusted with nuts,
with rasberry sauce on the side


Macadamia Nut Pie with whipped cream

The desserts looked gorgeous. As you can see, my pie was topped with yellow flower petals and sat on top of some caramel sauce. It was warm and tasted heavenly with the whipped cream, even though I'm not much of a cream type of person. My buddy enjoyed his Gianduia, but I felt it was too sweet for my taste. To each his own.

We shared a pot of green sencha tea. The water was piping hot; the taste unexpectedly bitter, even for me. If not for the bitterness, it essentially is would have no flavor, rather disappointing to the traditional Japanese sencha, not at all what I had expected.

There is also a non-dessert menu with paninis and the ilk for those who are afraid of sweet overload.

In all honesty, I'm not sure if this place is really my cup of tea, but everyone should go to Extraordinary Desserts at least once to experience the exciting atmosphere of energetically happy late night-diners and just to say you've tried something extra-ordinary...and that includes the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment