Tuesday, April 13, 2010

KFC Double Down

The new KFC Double Down sandwich is real! This one-of-a-kind sandwich features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe® or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce. This product is so meaty, there’s no room for a bun!

Sandwich Calories Fat (g) Sodium (mg)
KFC Original Recipe® Double Down 540 32 1380
KFC Grilled Double Down 460 23 1430
______________________________________________________________
If you are looking for a well balanced diet, steer clear away from the Double Down. It is essentially goopy cheese with bacon bits enclosed between two slabs of chicken meats. Dr. Atkins might approve considering it is free from carbs. However, it is not for vegetarians!

Mom was craving burgers today. She saved a bunch of Carl's Jr coupons and I informed her of the new KFC's sandwich. She is a crazy fan of chicken so without me telling her much, she wanted it. Two double downs was a whopping $9.98.


Double down commercial version



Real take-home version

It looks small, smaller than you would expect for the cost anyway, but it is very filling with two thick chicken filets. My double down doesn't look as neat as on the picture. The Monterey Jack cheese had melted all over the place, but I suppose that's what you can only expect with melted cheese. It was steamy hot and plenty flavorful. However, I am not a huge fan of spicy foods and it is a bit spicy. Not spicy spicy flaming hot, but spicy in the sense that it's got some wierd jalapeno picklish taste to it. I would have preferred it without the colonel's special sauce. Another disappointment was that the bacon was thinly sliced. You couldn't taste much of it as it was buried between the chicken pieces and the strong taste of the sauce, the bacon might as well not be there. In this case, bacon does not make it better.

Apparently there are two versions. It is not yet on the menu so I didn't know and the guy I ordered from didn't ask if I wanted grilled or the original recipe. I think I got the grilled version. It was somewhat soggy on one side, the side that sat in the box.

I couldn't finish my sandwich, but mom gobbled all hers up. She loved it! I think I prefer Carl Jr's Western Bacon Cheeseburger though. I like bread too much for it to be replaced with meat.

It is a unique idea but I'm not sure if it's something I'd order again.

No comments:

Post a Comment